New York City, ICW and Daytona Beach

After exiting the Erie Canal in Waterford, New York, the next step was to get to the Hudson River and getting the mast back up. We landed in Catskill, New York at Riverview Marine Services where we had the mast stepped but also spent a couple of days due to weather. Once the weather cleared we were on our way. I never realized how beautiful upstate New York is and the trip south on the Hudson River was filled with stunning landscapes and beautiful fall weather.

Sailing into the New York City harbor was crazy after spending so many weeks in the quiet of the Erie Canal but the excitement of checking another goal off our list was an awesome experience. We stayed on a mooring ball at the 79th Street Basin Marina and at $30.00 a night how could you go wrong. Where else are you going to stay on the Upper West Side for that price! We spent a couple of days running errands, doing a little sightseeing and taking in a show before we headed out of town. As we headed south on a beautiful day we sailed right by Lady Liberty and if you think she looks amazing form the city you should see her from the water.

After leaving NYC we sailed “outside” (in the Atlantic Ocean) bypassing New Jersey with an overnight sail and landed in Ocean City, Maryland just in time to spend a couple of days in a marina again due to bad weather. We were surprised with a visit from my Uncle Lee and his daughter Lorinda (who I had not seen for 25 years.) It was such a great visit and we are so very lucky that they made the 3 hour drive for the visit. With the weather clearing we left Ocean City and did another overnight hop on the “outside” to Norfolk, Virginia.

Weather once again had us on the dock for a couple of days in Norfolk so we used the time to visit the USS Wisconsin. Thankfully the weather only kept us in town for a day and we sailed out of Norfolk on the “inside” (via the Intracoastal Waterway or “ICW.”) The ICW was filled with bridges, more locks, lots of other cruisers heading south and the Dismal Swamp (actually the swamp was beautiful, not Dismal) and then eventually landing in Wilmington, South Carolina for a visit with the Donovan’s (Glen, Kerry, Reese and Andie). It was a short visit but Glen and Kerry went out of their way to make us feel welcome and even trusted Robin to drive their “extra” car to make our errands so easy. Thank you! Thank you!

By this time we had been on the boat close to 6 weeks and really thought we would have hit warm weather but sadly we found ourselves still so very happy for the little cabin heater that Robin had added before we left Michigan. We found ourselves once again seeking a dock for more bad weather and landed in Charleston, South Carolina.

We were once again lucky to be in a place to visit old friends and spent a couple days catching up with Todd and Michelle (Michelle is my old friend from 8th grade!) and we also enjoyed a dinner out with Sharon (we worked together at Henry Ford.) Three days on the dock and it was time to leave, we still needed to find the warm weather.

Finally – We found it! Warm Weather! After another overnight sail on the outside, bypassing the state of Georgia, we crossed the Florida line and the weather turned warm, we were wearing shorts, and could turn the heater off at night. We stayed two nights in St. Augustine, Florida just because the weather was beautiful and the town is stunning. But we wanted to make the jump to the Bahamas and had to keep moving.

On November 20th we made our way out of St. Augustine and had plans to make our way to Stuart, Florida to take a couple weeks of the boat for Thanksgiving. Seemed easy enough..Wild Goat sadly had another idea. Just north of Daytona Beach while attempting to anchor for the night she just stopped moving. Engine was running fine but we could not move forward or back. While we had a couple of options we decided to call for a tow (covered with our insurance), and ended up at Daytona Beach Marina.

The next morning we started trouble shooting and thankfully found that it would be a relatively easy and cheaper than most repairs. We had lost our Prop! While this was a set back it actually came at a good time, since we had planned to be off the boat for awhile anyways. Simple enough, leave the boat in Daytona instead of Stuart, parts were relativity cheap in boat part $$$ and it will all be fine. Right?

Of course things never go as easily as planned…

2 thoughts on “New York City, ICW and Daytona Beach”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *